Monday, March 30, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?




Happy Monday everyone!  Please check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to learn more about It's Monday! What Are Your Reading?

This week kicks off state testing on my campus.  Students are actually testing today and tomorrow.  If you ever want to hear schools be extremely quiet when they are filled with students, just imagine a state test day.

With all the new books that have come into the library recently, I have found my TBR list has grown leaps and bounds.  Almost to the point of being  unmanageable.  As a result, I started a Goodreads account last week.  I have linked to it in the sidebar of the blog. I have also noticed that my reading brain is being pulled in many directions and am finding it hard to focus on just one book.  Sometimes certain books have to be put on the back burner until  your brain is ready to tackle them  Such is the case for Vango and me.  I'm still interested in it; other books keep stealing my focus, however.

So this past week I finished The Bridge from Me to You by Lisa Schroeder.  She is such a popular author in our library; I knew I had to read this one fast.  I'm so glad I did.  The story contains two narrators: Lauren and Colby. Their chapters alternate.  She's the new girl in town who has come to live with her aunt and uncle for mysterious reasons, and he's the high school football star who just wants football to be over.  They soon find their very different lives collide in small town life.  Not only do they seem to find common ground, but they also discover they ultimately are looking for the same things.  Are they able to conquer their own problems in order to find happiness with themselves and each other?  The book is worth the read to find out.

Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong by Prudence Shen & Faith Erin Hicks is a great graphic novel.  While graphic novels aren't usually on my personal reading radar, I LOVE THIS BOOK!  Nerds versus cheerleaders in a battle for student body president and control of some school funds.  Both sides think they have the election wrapped up; it's a no brainer, but is it?  Lots of high jinks incur, and things don't go as planned for either side.  They might even just have to work together in order to get the funding they desire.  A fun, fast read.  It was perfect for my reading in the sun Saturday.

This week I'm reading Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen.  I love following her on Twitter at @sarahdessen.  In fact I just saw she has a new book coming out in May -- Saint Anything.

Good luck to all taking state exams.  I hope you have a great reading week.

No comments:

Post a Comment