Saturday, March 7, 2015

Celebration -- Book Fairs

 
 
Discover. Play. Build.
 
 
Today I thought I would join Ruth Ayres and her Celebrate Link Up.  If you would like to learn more about this weekly celebration, please see Ruth's Blog. 
 
 
This past week was book fair week in the library.  I am blessed to be able to host two of these a school year -- one in the fall and one in the spring.  Book fair week is such a special time in the library.  I love talking books.  No big surprise.  I talk books with students and teachers all the time in the library, but book fair changes the atmosphere.
 
Usually I am offering ideas, showing off new arrivals, or helping locate requests. 
The week of the fair, however, teachers and I become consumers right along with the students.  We explore the titles, ask each other for recommendations, make suggestions based on our reading.  Students are always amazed at just how many books I and fellow teachers purchase.  Somehow it makes them want to be purchasers of books themselves. Some buy books because I bought them, and others buy books because they don't want to have to wait until titles hit the library shelves.  Still others buy because their friends do.  Whatever the reason our school reading community grows and strengthens itself during book fair week.  Books are talked about throughout the school.  Books are the buzz for the week, and I love it. 
 
Libraries and librarians work hard all year to generate book love in lots of different ways.  Book fairs help provide a special week and promote reading in a unique way.  I loved book fairs as a kid, and I still love 'em as a librarian.  Books  -- always worth celebrating.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment